Southern Flair

Southern Flair
Always Look and Feel Fabulous!

Friday, March 20, 2015

How Writing Can Produce Blueberry Muffins

I'm currently under a writing deadline for my 8th novel. It's exciting, stressful, scary, exhilarating, and exhausting all wrapped into one. As I've stated many times, writing is a solitary endeavor that requires hours upon hours of uninterrupted time. Every writer has their own unique approach to their writing process, and they must establish a rhythm and environment that works for them. For me, it's important that I have an aesthetically pleasing environment (I love feminine things with bling) and it's got to smells good (I have a crazy amount of scented candles).

Two weeks ago I was in my office, typing away at my computer, when a sweet aroma tickled my nose. I'd lit a blueberry scone scented Yankee Candle and it smelled absolutely delicious. As the smell became more and more intense my stomach started rumbling. I was literally craving a blueberry scone. Well, I don't know how to make scones, but this certified Southern Belle knows how to make a mean muffin! Before I knew it I was in my kitchen pulling flour and sugar out the pantry, milk and eggs from the refrigerator, and a bag of frozen blueberries from the freezer. Then voila! Delicious homemade blueberry muffins.

The art of writing can produce great literature, but it can also produce delicious blueberry muffins!
  
                                                              
    Delicious blueberry muffins
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2tbsp. baking powder (plus an extra pinch)
  • 3/4 cup sugar (plus 1/2 cup for topping)
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg well beaten
  • 1 1/4 cups milk (I use skim milk)
  • 1 cup blueberries (use fresh or frozen)

Stir dry ingredients together. make a well in the center of the bowl and add oil, egg, and milk. Stir only enough to moisten the ingredients (too much stirring will cause tough, dry muffins). Lightly grease muffin pan and fill 2/3 with batter. Sprinkle sugar atop the batter. Bake in 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until muffin tops are golden. Serve warm and enjoy!
The sugar sprinkled on top adds a deliciously sweet crunch

No comments:

Post a Comment